McCarthy sharp as Diamondbacks top Reds
Offensively, Aaron Hill's pinch-hit single in the fifth scored the go-ahead run in the Diamondbacks' 3-1 win over the Cincinnati Reds at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks' first three hitters -- Adam Eaton, Chad Pennington and Eric Chavez -- combined to go 3-for-7. Eaton has hit safely in seven of nine games (10-for-29, .345), Chavez in four of six games (5-for-12, .416) and Pennington has reached base safely in all eight games he's played.
Chris Owings added a solo home run in the seventh, part of a four-run inning.
HE SAID IT
"It was a good locker room talk," manager Kirk Gibson said of the exchange he and Reds manager Dusty Baker had prior to the game at home plate regarding the designated hitter. "I wanted to play a National League game. (We) notified them several times. They just wanted to do it their way and they couldn't do it. We play by the rules here. That's the way it is. When we're over there, we play by their rules. It's very simple."
COMING UP NEXT
The Diamondbacks (5-5-1) will take a break from Cactus League competition and play Team Mexico in an exhibition game under the lights at Salt River Fields Tuesday, March 5. Ian Kennedy, Tyler Skaggs, Charles Brewer, JJ Putz, Bo Schultz and Brad Ziegler are all scheduled to pitch. Putz will be making his first in-game appearance on the mound of the spring.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.