Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 4:25 pm
McCarthy sharp as Diamondbacks top Reds
Offensively, Aaron Hill's pinch-hit single in the fifth scored the go-ahead run in the Diamondbacks' 3-1 win over the Cincinnati Reds at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks' first three hitters -- Adam Eaton, Chad Pennington and Eric Chavez -- combined to go 3-for-7. Eaton has hit safely in seven of nine games (10-for-29, .345), Chavez in four of six games (5-for-12, .416) and Pennington has reached base safely in all eight games he's played.
Chris Owings added a solo home run in the seventh, part of a four-run inning.
HE SAID IT
"It was a good locker room talk," manager Kirk Gibson said of the exchange he and Reds manager Dusty Baker had prior to the game at home plate regarding the designated hitter. "I wanted to play a National League game. (We) notified them several times. They just wanted to do it their way and they couldn't do it. We play by the rules here. That's the way it is. When we're over there, we play by their rules. It's very simple."
COMING UP NEXT
The Diamondbacks (5-5-1) will take a break from Cactus League competition and play Team Mexico in an exhibition game under the lights at Salt River Fields Tuesday, March 5. Ian Kennedy, Tyler Skaggs, Charles Brewer, JJ Putz, Bo Schultz and Brad Ziegler are all scheduled to pitch. Putz will be making his first in-game appearance on the mound of the spring.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.