Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 1:34 pm
ESPN analyst: Gregorius showing why Towers was so high on him
In short, the 23-year-old looks every bit the long-term answer at the position for the team.
"Now we know what (D-backs general manager) Kevin Towers was talking about when he went after this kid and went after him as hard as he did," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We heard all spring training he's a terrific defensive player, which he has been, but I had scouts tell me the entire spring the bat is a question and has been one."
Yet, Kurkjian said scouts are noticing what the rest of us have seen: his bat is nothing to sneeze at.
"This kid's swing is a little firmer than people are giving him credit for," he said.
That's not to say Gregorius is destined for a Silver Slugger Award or is even ready to stake claim as one of the league's best middle infielders. After all, he's only six games -- and 20 at bats -- into his Diamondbacks career.
However, the early returns on one of the D-backs' key offseason acquisition have been very positive, which is a great sign going forward.
"If he hits at all, that's a real bonus because you know he's going to give them tremendous athleticism and defense at shortstop," Kurkjian said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?