Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 1:34 pm
ESPN analyst: Gregorius showing why Towers was so high on him
In short, the 23-year-old looks every bit the long-term answer at the position for the team.
"Now we know what (D-backs general manager) Kevin Towers was talking about when he went after this kid and went after him as hard as he did," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We heard all spring training he's a terrific defensive player, which he has been, but I had scouts tell me the entire spring the bat is a question and has been one."
Yet, Kurkjian said scouts are noticing what the rest of us have seen: his bat is nothing to sneeze at.
"This kid's swing is a little firmer than people are giving him credit for," he said.
That's not to say Gregorius is destined for a Silver Slugger Award or is even ready to stake claim as one of the league's best middle infielders. After all, he's only six games -- and 20 at bats -- into his Diamondbacks career.
However, the early returns on one of the D-backs' key offseason acquisition have been very positive, which is a great sign going forward.
"If he hits at all, that's a real bonus because you know he's going to give them tremendous athleticism and defense at shortstop," Kurkjian said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.