Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 1:34 pm
ESPN analyst: Gregorius showing why Towers was so high on him
In short, the 23-year-old looks every bit the long-term answer at the position for the team.
"Now we know what (D-backs general manager) Kevin Towers was talking about when he went after this kid and went after him as hard as he did," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "We heard all spring training he's a terrific defensive player, which he has been, but I had scouts tell me the entire spring the bat is a question and has been one."
Yet, Kurkjian said scouts are noticing what the rest of us have seen: his bat is nothing to sneeze at.
"This kid's swing is a little firmer than people are giving him credit for," he said.
That's not to say Gregorius is destined for a Silver Slugger Award or is even ready to stake claim as one of the league's best middle infielders. After all, he's only six games -- and 20 at bats -- into his Diamondbacks career.
However, the early returns on one of the D-backs' key offseason acquisition have been very positive, which is a great sign going forward.
"If he hits at all, that's a real bonus because you know he's going to give them tremendous athleticism and defense at shortstop," Kurkjian said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.