Updated May 11, 2013 - 2:12 pm
Heath Bell welcomes chance to be a closer again
The team's closer due to injury, Bell had recorded saves in each of the previous three games while throwing 36 pitches in the process.
But rest assured, Bell will be back on the mound looking to nail down a win shortly, and it's a role he's happy to be filling again.
"Coming into this year, I really just wanted to get my mechanics right and start pitching and show everybody I'm completely fine," Bell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
Bell arrived in Arizona via a trade, and is looking to bounce back from a season that saw him blow eight saves in 27 chances while compiling an ERA of 5.09 in Miami. One of the game's elite closers for three consecutive seasons, it appeared the 35-year-old may have been done as an effective pitcher.
A rough start to his D-backs tenure seemed to reaffirm that belief, but Bell has turned things around. He has not allowed a run in any of his last four appearances, and has held the opposition scoreless 11 of the last 13 times he's taken the mound. And now, by way of J.J. Putz's injury, Bell finds himself back in the role he said he's "very comfortable doing."
"I know when J.J. is healthy in a few weeks when he comes back and he's going to start closing games," Bell said. "Then I'll help him out when he needs a day off and I'll help (David Hernandez) out when he needs a day off, just like I was doing beforehand."
In the meantime, though, Bell welcomes the high-pressure situations he's likely to find himself in.
"I kind of love that, I love that emotion," he said. "A lot of people like being happy and some people, for some odd reason, like being sad and depressed.
"And I like that fear of going up there and you might fail and everybody might boo you, but you get cheered but then again we talk about other people and not you."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.