Report: Arizona Diamondbacks could trade J.J. Putz
According to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Arizona Diamondbacks could be mulling over the possibility of trading veteran relief pitcher J.J. Putz.
Don't be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, earning $6.5 million, could be one possibility, though it is not known whether Yankees ownership would part with Suzuki or how he would adjust to a backup role.
Putz also could be part of a trade for a starter such as the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo if the D-backs fall short in other pursuits.
Reed, acquired from Chicago for third base prospect Matt Davidson last month, would figure to be the D-backs' closer in 2014, although general manager Kevin Towers has stated that the job is up for grabs.
Putz, who has one year remaining on his contract with Arizona, has been the primary closer for the Diamondbacks since his arrival prior to the 2011 season. In an injury-plagued 2013 season, Putz registered six saves and a 3-1 record in just 34.1 innings of work.
Putz's 83 saves are the second-most in franchise history, behind only Jose Valverde, who saved 98 games from 2003 to 2007.
- Agent: 'I think a guy like Archie Bradley warrants that opportunity'
- Braves vs Phillies postponed by rain
- No Drew: Steinbrenner: 'I'm pretty content'
- ESPN Insider Keith Law paints dark picture for D-backs' future
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter can't stop bleeding, D-backs extend skid to season high-tying 4 games
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?