Kurkjian on Diamondbacks: With La Russa on board, Towers more likely to go than Gibson
Needless to say, the move sent ripples across the baseball landscape, and it has left many -- both locally and nationally -- still trying to make sense of it all.
What does it mean? What are the implications? What level of authority is in place?
But ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian has a fairly simple explanation for the hire.
"Well, this is what you do when you're 13 games under .500 and 10 games out," he told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns & Gambo show on Wednesday. "You hire the best guy available and bring him in and say, 'Tell us what we're missing here.'"
Kurkjian seemed to have little doubt that La Russa was that guy -- the best available to the Diamondbacks.
"And Tony La Russa is great at things like this," he went on. "He has as discerning an eye as basically anyone I've ever run across."
But, despite the sensible explanation, even Kurkjian was taken aback by the move a little -- not by the Diamondbacks' search for such an executive, but by La Russa's decision.
"I'm surprised Tony is back in a position like this this quickly," he said. "But he loves a challenge and he's got one here."
Immediately after the hire, speculation began on the job security of general manager Kevin Towers and manager Kirk Gibson. Kurkjian weighed in on the possibility of a departure, specifically for the D-backs' GM.
"That's likely, obviously, if they don't turn it around significantly," he said. "And I don't see them turning it around significantly.
"If one of the two is going to take the fall first, it would probably be Towers, but we have a long way to go on this still and that's not to say either one of them is safe."
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.