Former Diamondbacks coach Bob Welch dies
SEAL BEACH, Calif. — The pitching coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks' 2001 World Series winning team, Bob Welch, has died at the age of 57.
The cause of death was unavailable. The Diamondbacks released the following statement:
"This is a tragic and sad day, as Bob Welch will be remembered by everyone who knew him as a great teammate and a great friend. Though he was on our Major League coaching staff for just one season, it was certainly memorable, as he guided our pitching staff to a World Championship and will always be a part of our history. Not only did he have a distinguished playing career, but as a coach at Arizona State University and then with the D-backs, he impacted many people's lives in a positive way and he will truly be missed."
The former Cy Young winner and two-time All-Star died in Seal Beach, Calif., on Monday night. He pitched in the majors for 17 years.
Along with the A's Welch pitched for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.