NAU gets 1st win of season 60-52 over CSU Bakersfield
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Northern Arizona pulled away late to beat Cal State Bakersfield 60-52 on Saturday night for the Lumberjacks’ first win of the season.
Northern Arizona (1-7) closed a 14-1 run by capitalizing on back-to-back Bakersfield (4-5) turnovers in the penultimate minute. Damiyne Durham’s errant pass in the lane led to Torry Johnson’s fast-break layup and Brent Wrapp’s charging call led to Bowling’s jumper making it 58-49, the largest lead of the game with 53 seconds left.
CSUB led 48-44 with 8:44 left after an 8-2 run capped by Ricky Holden’s 3-pointer, but from there the Roadrunners committed eight turnovers on their way to losing their third straight.
Northern Arizona made 24 of 45 shots and had 24 turnovers to CSU Bakersfield’s 25 miscues.
Chris Bowling scored 17 points on 7-of-10 shooting and Shon Briggs and Moataz Aly had 11 points each. Jarkel Joiner scored 10 for the Roadrunners.
- Diamondbacks players embrace basketball fandom amid NBA Finals
- NCAA officials arrive in Phoenix looking at bid for possible Final Four
- Josh Jackson’s rookie season full of ups, downs for Phoenix Suns
- “I’m done with not making the playoffs”: Devin Booker looking for future success with team
- LeBron James makes it known he’s king of New York in return to MSG