Former D-backs reliever David Hernandez signs with Cincinnati Reds
Former Arizona Diamondbacks reliever David Hernandez has signed a two-year deal with the Cincinnati Reds, the team announced Tuesday.
Hernandez signed a two-year deal with the team.
The 37-year-old was acquired by the D-backs at the trade deadline from the Los Angeles Angels. He pitched well in a limited role, posting a 3.11 ERA over 18.2 innings with 52 strikeouts, 10 holds and one save.
Hernandez gave the D-backs a reliable middle reliever behind their superb setup man Archie Bradley, but the team has reliever depth heading into next season.
There’s also the chance for an increased role in the bullpen for the 26-year-old Jimmie Sherfy, who impressed in his rookie season.
- D-backs option Sherfy, Hazelbaker and Walker; release Bastardo
- D-backs bullpen: Boxberger dealing with soreness, Sherfy fatigued
- D-backs open spring training, ready to ‘turn the page’ to 2018
- Diamondbacks sign relief pitcher Neftali Feliz
- D-backs have several different options to fill hole at closer