Diamondbacks option Ildemaro Vargas to Triple-A
The Arizona Diamondbacks optioned infielder Ildemaro Vargas to Triple-A Reno on Monday with a corresponding move expected before the team opens a road series Tuesday against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Vargas was called up for his first stint in MLB last week.
The 25-year-old appeared as a pinch-hitter in two games. He didn’t reach base in two plate appearances and struck out once.
Vargas has spent 10 seasons in the minors after originally joining the St. Louis Cardinals as a non-drafted free agent in 2008.
The Venezuelan is batting .303 in the minors and ranks first in Triple-A with 24 doubles and 64 runs scored so far this season. A Pacific Coast League All-Star, Vargas has 738 minor-league games and 2,734 at-bats under his belt.
- The 5: Most thrilling debut seasons in Valley sports history
- D-backs’ Goldschmidt finishes third in NL MVP voting, Marlins’ Stanton wins
- J.D. Martinez’s agent keeps making hilarious metaphors
- D-backs’ Greinke finishes fourth in NL Cy Young voting, Ray seventh
- NL MVP: How D-backs’ Goldschmidt stacks up against other two finalists