D-backs’ first-round pick Pavin Smith named to Top 100 prospects list
The Diamondbacks’ first-round pick from this year’s draft, Pavin Smith, has already been named the best prospect in their system, according to MLB Pipeline’s 2017 top-100 prospects list.
At No. 74, the No. 7 overall pick is the only D-back to show up in the top 100 and is listed as the eighth-best prospect from the 2017 draft.
In 27 games with Class A Hillsboro, the first baseman is batting .358 with 38 hits, 12 RBI and 15 walks while also posting an OPS of .891.
After the list was updated to reflect midseason changes on Tuesday, the D-backs’ top prospects saw some movement.
Following Smith is the D-backs’ third-round pick from a year ago, Jon Duplantier. After him is their 2015 third-round pick, Taylor Clarke, and their top preseason prospect, Anthony Banda.
Headlined with Smith as their only top-100 prospect, the D-backs farm system ranks 26th in the league.
- D-backs hosting Childhood Cancer Awareness Night on Saturday
- Watch J.D. Martinez interview Archie Bradley after win over Padres
- Derrick Hall: Archie Bradley is the D-backs’ emotional leader
- ESPN’s Shoenfield: Chris Iannetta D-backs’ biggest lineup question
- D-backs turn four-run deficit into rout of Padres