The Grand Canyon basketball team followed its surprising victory against San Diego State on Friday with another win that adds clout to the developing Division I program.
Dan Majerle’s Antelopes defeated the Houston Cougars 78-69 at Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas to improve to 10-2 on the season.
Guard DeWayne Russell led the ‘Lopes with 20 points on 7-of-12 shooting and six assists. Joshua Braun added 13 points, and reserve forward Grandy Glaze pumped in 10 more against the Cougars, who were 8-1 entering the game and this season had beat an LSU team led by potential top 2016 NBA Dtaft pick Ben Simmons.
GCU shot 48 percent in the victory and held Houston to 40 percent shooting.
Galen Robinson Jr. led the Cougars with 18 points off the bench, and Rob Gray Jr. added 17 in the losing effort.
Grand Canyon will visit SIU Edwardsville out of the Ohio Valley Conference next Monday.
- Former Phoenix Suns PF Alton Ford passes away at 36
- Grand Canyon accepts invitation to the 16-team CBI Tournament
- GCU basketball’s Alessandro Lever, Joshua Braun make All-WAC teams
- Thoughts from Newsmakers Week, Day 3: Majerle and Anderson in studio
- GCU head coach Dan Majerle has ‘best job in the country’