Updated Feb 2, 2012 - 9:14 am
Warner on Peyton Manning to AZ possibilities
Kurt Warner joined ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike (mornings 5 to 9 a.m on Arizona Sports 620) and discussed the looming possibility that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning could be wearing Cardinal red in 2012.
Co-host Mike Golic asked if Cardinals' receiver Larry Fitzgerald would be on board with Manning heading to Arizona should he be released by Indianapolis before next month's roster bonus deadline day.
"I'm sure he would love that, and I'm sure the state of Arizona would love that," Warner said. "They've struggled to fill that position and if you get an opportunity to have a guy like Peyton Manning, assuming he's back, he changes the dynamic on your football team."
And Warner acknowledges that Manning could be the X-factor for the Cardinals, a team that showed promise late in 2011, winning seven of their last nine games.
"We saw a team that down the stretch won a number a games and finished 8-8 with not a lot of pieces. If you add a Peyton Manning to that mix in the NFC West, all of a sudden, you're a big time contender."
The Cardinals aren't the only team who will explore signing the NFL's best pitchman. Miami, Washington, San Francisco, Seattle and the New York Jets have already been linked through rumors, and there could be more.
"It's going to be that risk-reward. How much to you have to pay? What's the risk? Is it all worth it at this point in time of his career," Warner said. "I think that's what's going to be interesting is how many teams jump into the mix saying 'this is something we have to try'."
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.