Updated Feb 2, 2012 - 9:14 am
Warner on Peyton Manning to AZ possibilities
Kurt Warner joined ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike (mornings 5 to 9 a.m on Arizona Sports 620) and discussed the looming possibility that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning could be wearing Cardinal red in 2012.
Co-host Mike Golic asked if Cardinals' receiver Larry Fitzgerald would be on board with Manning heading to Arizona should he be released by Indianapolis before next month's roster bonus deadline day.
"I'm sure he would love that, and I'm sure the state of Arizona would love that," Warner said. "They've struggled to fill that position and if you get an opportunity to have a guy like Peyton Manning, assuming he's back, he changes the dynamic on your football team."
And Warner acknowledges that Manning could be the X-factor for the Cardinals, a team that showed promise late in 2011, winning seven of their last nine games.
"We saw a team that down the stretch won a number a games and finished 8-8 with not a lot of pieces. If you add a Peyton Manning to that mix in the NFC West, all of a sudden, you're a big time contender."
The Cardinals aren't the only team who will explore signing the NFL's best pitchman. Miami, Washington, San Francisco, Seattle and the New York Jets have already been linked through rumors, and there could be more.
"It's going to be that risk-reward. How much to you have to pay? What's the risk? Is it all worth it at this point in time of his career," Warner said. "I think that's what's going to be interesting is how many teams jump into the mix saying 'this is something we have to try'."
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!