Updated Jul 27, 2012 - 7:04 pm
Cards lineman: Whoever starts, we benefit
Unfortunately, nobody is really sure whether Kevin Kolb or John Skelton has the inside track towards landing the starting gig.
Offensive lineman Daryn Colledge joined Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo to give his thoughts on the quarterback battle, saying that regardless of who starts, having both players on the team is a huge benefit.
"Both guys are extremely talented," said Colledge. "We think both guys can win the game and I think we're happy with whichever one [is starting] and we're happy to have the other one backing him up.
"We want guys that want to compete and guys that want to win. We think both guys can do that."
A fairly optimistic outlook by Mr. Colledge can't negate how much pressure is on Kolb, who performed well-below expectations after signing a five-year contract worth $63 million.
Once thought to be the new franchise quarterback, Kolb went 1-6 while battling injuries throughout the 2011 season, paving the way for backup Skelton to take his place on the field. Skelton finished the season with a less than adequate 54.9% completion percentage and 11 touchdowns to 14 interceptions, but he did lead the Cardinals to six wins through late-game heroics.
But even if Skelton produced more wins and there are rumors of him being the favorite in camp, Colledge believes Kolb deserves a fair shot at the starting job.
"I think [Kolb] was put into a terrible situation last year. We had four practices until we were in a game and he's taking a lot of shots and got some injuries and that's hard, especially for the quarterback.
"Skelton knew the offense and was able to come in and manufacture some drives that put him in a great position to make [the game] a competitive thing. I think that's a hats off to Skelton, but it's going to be a no-hold barred competition all camp."
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up