Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 3:57 pm
Report: Cardinals close to signing Josh Cribbs and Lorenzo Alexander
According to FoxSports.com's Alex Marvez, the team is close to signing former Cleveland Brown receiver/return specialist Josh Cribbs as well as former Washington Redskins linebacker Lorenzo Alexander.
Cribbs has spent all eight of his NFL seasons in Cleveland primarily as a special-teams standout and jack-of-all-trades offensive player. Cribbs was named to the NFL's All-Decade team in the 2000s as a kickoff returner and is the all-time leader in Browns history in that role. Cribbs also is tied for the NFL all-time record in kickoff returns for touchdowns with eight.
Cribbs would be signed as both a wide receiver and returner by Arizona, the source said. Cribbs posted a career-high 41 receptions in 2011 but wasn't a significant part of the team's passing offense in 2012. He finished with only 13 touches (seven catches; six rushes), marking his lowest production since Cribbs' rookie campaign in 2005.
Alexander, 29, played in 16 games in each of the last four seasons for the Redskins. Known for his prowess on special teams (he had an NFL-leading 19 special teams tackles last season), he was credited for 46 combined tackles last year to go along with 2.5 sacks.
The report says Alexander is also receiving interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.