Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson: 'I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game'
Going to the Pro Bowl in each of one's first two seasons and generally being regarded as one of the NFL's best at one's position will do that.
The third-year pro has often said that his goal is to be the best cornerback in the game, and his head coach Bruce Arians has stated he believes Peterson is just that. And in an interview with Pro Football Talk, Peterson said he appreciates his coach's confidence in him and doesn't disagree with the assessment.
"I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game," Peterson said. "I just want to continue getting better each and every week. I'm pleasured to have that opportunity each and every week to go up against the offense's best receiver, and I believe if you can do that week in and week out there's no question that you can be, that you are the number one defensive back in the league."
Peterson, who has intercepted 11 passes in 36 games played, is generally assigned to cover the opposing team's top wide receiver. He got off to a bit of a rocky start this season, as quarterbacks had compiled a perfect rating of 158.3 when targeting the former LSU star through the first three games, but his two interceptions last Sunday in Tampa led the Cardinals to a win and Peterson to the NFC Defensive Player of the Week award.
So whether Peterson is the best cornerback in the league or not, he's certainly in the conversation.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up