Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 7:48 am
Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
Carlson, 29, has been in the league for six seasons after being selected by the Seattle Seahawks out of Notre Dame in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
The 6-foot-5, 248-pounder spent the last two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. In 2013, he played in 13 games, starting eight, and caught 32 passes for 344 yards and a touchdown.
His 2013 season was cut short by a concussion Dec. 8 in a game against the Baltimore Ravens, the third the tight end has suffered in his career. He would miss the last three games of the season, and according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, considered retirement.
"That's something that my wife and I will consider. After every season it's an evaluation period because of the nature of our business. Players move around, players get cut, coaches get fired, things happen. So in that sense, every year is an evaluation period and this year will be no different. And the concussion part of it will be in that conversation."
For his career, Carson has 177 receptions for 1,906 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Carlson was released by Minnesota earlier in the week after signing a five-year, $25 million deal last offseason.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.