Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 7:48 am
Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
Carlson, 29, has been in the league for six seasons after being selected by the Seattle Seahawks out of Notre Dame in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
The 6-foot-5, 248-pounder spent the last two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. In 2013, he played in 13 games, starting eight, and caught 32 passes for 344 yards and a touchdown.
His 2013 season was cut short by a concussion Dec. 8 in a game against the Baltimore Ravens, the third the tight end has suffered in his career. He would miss the last three games of the season, and according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, considered retirement.
"That's something that my wife and I will consider. After every season it's an evaluation period because of the nature of our business. Players move around, players get cut, coaches get fired, things happen. So in that sense, every year is an evaluation period and this year will be no different. And the concussion part of it will be in that conversation."
For his career, Carson has 177 receptions for 1,906 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Carlson was released by Minnesota earlier in the week after signing a five-year, $25 million deal last offseason.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.