Updated Mar 9, 2014 - 2:58 pm
Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported via Twitter at 8:08 p.m. MDT that sources had told him that teams were told he would be retiring.
Mendenhall, as Schefter points out, alluded to the prospect of retiring in a column published by Huffington Post last month.
Sunday, his agent Mike McCartney of Priority Sports and Entertainment, confirmed the news with a pair of tweets.
The reports are true: @R_Mendenhall is retiring from the NFL. Rashard will explain why in his own words very soon. Stay tuned.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
It's been a great pleasure working with Rashard and his family. I am very excited for Rashard as he pursues what's next.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
In six NFL seasons, the Illinois product rushed for 4.236 yards and 37 touchdowns. Prior to joining the Cardinals in 2013, Mendenhall spent five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, rushing for more than 1,000 yards in 2009 and 2010.
Last season, with the Cardinals, Mendenhall logged 687 yards rushing in 217 attempts, fumbling a career-high four times over the course of 15 games.
The former first-round pick carries a Super Bowl ring into his retirement, thanks to his roster spot on the Steelers team which beat the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.
Teams told Cardinals UFA RB Rashard Mendenhall is, in fact, retiring, per sources. Mendenhall hinted at in a Feb. 25 Huffington Post column.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 9, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b