Arizona Cardinals produce functional draft class
Not splashy. Not overly sexy. Nothing that dazzles.
A hard-hitting safety in Deone Bucannon. A blocking tight end in Troy Niklas. A quick wide receiver from a school (Pittsburg St.) with a mascot (the Gorillas) in a state (Kansas) that 95 percent of America probably didn't realize existed (his name is John Brown and sources tell me he has wings on his ankles).
Last year's name recognition wattage flashed in the form of Tyrann Mathieu, Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor and Kevin Minter. There was plenty of sizzle in those names; a quality that seems lacking this year. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
Most of the things the Cardinals came home from the store with were items they needed and not necessarily things the fans wanted. It takes a strong man to walk past the high-def TVs and bluetooth speakers at Costco and go to the back to get ten pounds of ground beef.
The one splurge selection -- Logan Thomas -- feels like a long shot; though I suppose they all are at that point. If his accuracy issues were really that easily correctable, something tells me a player with that size, speed and arm strength would have been a chance worth taking much earlier in the draft. I think if anyone can "fix" him it's Bruce Arians and his crew. Still, an offensive lineman or another guy to provide depth in this physical division might have been the better play there.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 27, 2014
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.