Arizona Cardinals produce functional draft class
Not splashy. Not overly sexy. Nothing that dazzles.
A hard-hitting safety in Deone Bucannon. A blocking tight end in Troy Niklas. A quick wide receiver from a school (Pittsburg St.) with a mascot (the Gorillas) in a state (Kansas) that 95 percent of America probably didn't realize existed (his name is John Brown and sources tell me he has wings on his ankles).
Last year's name recognition wattage flashed in the form of Tyrann Mathieu, Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor and Kevin Minter. There was plenty of sizzle in those names; a quality that seems lacking this year. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
Most of the things the Cardinals came home from the store with were items they needed and not necessarily things the fans wanted. It takes a strong man to walk past the high-def TVs and bluetooth speakers at Costco and go to the back to get ten pounds of ground beef.
The one splurge selection -- Logan Thomas -- feels like a long shot; though I suppose they all are at that point. If his accuracy issues were really that easily correctable, something tells me a player with that size, speed and arm strength would have been a chance worth taking much earlier in the draft. I think if anyone can "fix" him it's Bruce Arians and his crew. Still, an offensive lineman or another guy to provide depth in this physical division might have been the better play there.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.