Updated Jan 31, 2013 - 7:30 am
Suns Strokes: Michael Beasley overshadows Nash's return
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 92-86 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on January 30.
Michael Beasley scored 10 of his game-high 27 points in the fourth quarter, helping the Suns overcome a 13-point deficit. The Suns outscored the Lakers 29-13 in the final quarter, their largest margin (+16) in a fourth period this season. Phoenix held the Lakers to 4-of-19 (.190) shooting, while shooting 11-of-16 (.688) themselves in the final 12 minutes of the game.
The Suns were outscored 51-37, shooting 16-of-44 (.364) combined in the second and third quarters.
He Said It:
"We came together," said Beasley, who with 27 points established a new season-high. "That has really been our problem this whole season, the end of the third and fourth quarter. We just told each other we do not want to lose, especially in front of a crowd like that and on national TV. It just was not an option for us. We went out there and executed where we needed to execute."
• In five games since the coaching change, Michael Beasley has averaged 18.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 24.4 minutes per game.
• Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all-time with a total of 22 medals (18 gold), sat courtside at US Airways Center.
• Two-time MVP Steve Nash made his return to the Valley. In a losing effort, the former Suns point guard had 11 points and four rebounds.
• Jermaine O'Neal (irregular heartbeat) missed his fifth straight game.
The Suns (16-30) continue their brief two-game homestand when they host the Dallas Mavericks on Friday at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.