Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 5:11 pm
Towers: Eaton impressing at big league level
Appearing on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday, Towers admitted he was very pleased with the rookie's contributions during the team's recent road swing in San Francisco and San Diego.
"He's exciting to watch," Towers said of Eaton. "As I mentioned before he came up, watching him at Double-A and Triple-A, he always seems to be in the middle of something good, whether it's offensively or defensively."
In his first five games, Eaton is batting .400 with six runs and an OPS of .923.
While he's given the team a boost at the top of the lineup, Eaton's greatest impact so far has come with his play in center field. Most notably, his over-the-shoulder catch and throw to first base to double up the Padres on Sunday.
"The play he made in center field was as good as I've seen in I don't remember how long," said Towers. "The throw to double him off was kind of like old Roberto Clemente stuff."
Before getting the call up from the Diamondbacks last week, Eaton paced the Reno Aces with a .381 batting average, seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases.
With Chris Young still nursing a quad injury, Towers said Eaton will continue to patrol center field for the foreseeable future.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.