Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 5:11 pm
Towers: Eaton impressing at big league level
Appearing on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday, Towers admitted he was very pleased with the rookie's contributions during the team's recent road swing in San Francisco and San Diego.
"He's exciting to watch," Towers said of Eaton. "As I mentioned before he came up, watching him at Double-A and Triple-A, he always seems to be in the middle of something good, whether it's offensively or defensively."
In his first five games, Eaton is batting .400 with six runs and an OPS of .923.
While he's given the team a boost at the top of the lineup, Eaton's greatest impact so far has come with his play in center field. Most notably, his over-the-shoulder catch and throw to first base to double up the Padres on Sunday.
"The play he made in center field was as good as I've seen in I don't remember how long," said Towers. "The throw to double him off was kind of like old Roberto Clemente stuff."
Before getting the call up from the Diamondbacks last week, Eaton paced the Reno Aces with a .381 batting average, seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases.
With Chris Young still nursing a quad injury, Towers said Eaton will continue to patrol center field for the foreseeable future.
- Wade Miley off to a sizzling hot July for Diamondbacks
- Wade Miley, bullpen shutout Giants in D-backs' win: By The Numbers
- Hill, Miley lead Diamondbacks over Giants
- D-backs outfielder Mark Trumbo has quiet night in return, records one hit
- Lincecum, Giants stifle D-backs in series opener: By The Numbers
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Thursday July 10Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider, discusses the latest MLB news and rumors.
- Whatís on your mind? - Thursday July 10Vince Marotta says whatís on his mind.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 10Derrick Hall shares his thoughts on what the D-backs could do before the trade deadline.
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 9D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about the state of the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs manager - Tuesday July 8D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the changes his clubhouse has gone through recently.
- Nick Ahmed, Diamondbacks infielder - Tuesday July 8D-backs infielder Nick Ahmed talks about the changes since being called up.
- Jeff Passan, MLB columnist for Yahoo! Sports - Monday July 7Yahoo! Sports MLB columnist Jeff Passan was surprised the D-backs didnít get more for Brandon McCart