Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 5:11 pm
Towers: Eaton impressing at big league level
Appearing on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday, Towers admitted he was very pleased with the rookie's contributions during the team's recent road swing in San Francisco and San Diego.
"He's exciting to watch," Towers said of Eaton. "As I mentioned before he came up, watching him at Double-A and Triple-A, he always seems to be in the middle of something good, whether it's offensively or defensively."
In his first five games, Eaton is batting .400 with six runs and an OPS of .923.
While he's given the team a boost at the top of the lineup, Eaton's greatest impact so far has come with his play in center field. Most notably, his over-the-shoulder catch and throw to first base to double up the Padres on Sunday.
"The play he made in center field was as good as I've seen in I don't remember how long," said Towers. "The throw to double him off was kind of like old Roberto Clemente stuff."
Before getting the call up from the Diamondbacks last week, Eaton paced the Reno Aces with a .381 batting average, seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases.
With Chris Young still nursing a quad injury, Towers said Eaton will continue to patrol center field for the foreseeable future.
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.