Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 5:11 pm
Towers: Eaton impressing at big league level
Appearing on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday, Towers admitted he was very pleased with the rookie's contributions during the team's recent road swing in San Francisco and San Diego.
"He's exciting to watch," Towers said of Eaton. "As I mentioned before he came up, watching him at Double-A and Triple-A, he always seems to be in the middle of something good, whether it's offensively or defensively."
In his first five games, Eaton is batting .400 with six runs and an OPS of .923.
While he's given the team a boost at the top of the lineup, Eaton's greatest impact so far has come with his play in center field. Most notably, his over-the-shoulder catch and throw to first base to double up the Padres on Sunday.
"The play he made in center field was as good as I've seen in I don't remember how long," said Towers. "The throw to double him off was kind of like old Roberto Clemente stuff."
Before getting the call up from the Diamondbacks last week, Eaton paced the Reno Aces with a .381 batting average, seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases.
With Chris Young still nursing a quad injury, Towers said Eaton will continue to patrol center field for the foreseeable future.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.