Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 5:11 pm
Towers: Eaton impressing at big league level
Appearing on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday, Towers admitted he was very pleased with the rookie's contributions during the team's recent road swing in San Francisco and San Diego.
"He's exciting to watch," Towers said of Eaton. "As I mentioned before he came up, watching him at Double-A and Triple-A, he always seems to be in the middle of something good, whether it's offensively or defensively."
In his first five games, Eaton is batting .400 with six runs and an OPS of .923.
While he's given the team a boost at the top of the lineup, Eaton's greatest impact so far has come with his play in center field. Most notably, his over-the-shoulder catch and throw to first base to double up the Padres on Sunday.
"The play he made in center field was as good as I've seen in I don't remember how long," said Towers. "The throw to double him off was kind of like old Roberto Clemente stuff."
Before getting the call up from the Diamondbacks last week, Eaton paced the Reno Aces with a .381 batting average, seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases.
With Chris Young still nursing a quad injury, Towers said Eaton will continue to patrol center field for the foreseeable future.
- D-backs Henry Blanco wants to coach after playing career
- Bronson Arroyo feeling better since scratched spring start
- Opening Series uniform patch revealed for Diamondbacks, Dodgers games in Australia
- D-backs' Chris Owings likely to don Sedona red on his first trip abroad
- D-backs' Archie Bradley struggles in third Cactus League start
- Ferguson Jenkins, Hall of Fame pitcher - Friday March 14How has baseball changed?
- Henry Blanco, Diamondbacks catcher - Thursday March 13Henry Blanco talks about his efforts to make the Diamondbacks roster.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Thursday March 13Archie Bradley reacts to his first rocky start of spring training.
- Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated MLB writer - Thursday March 13Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Chris Owings, Diamondbacks shortstop - Thursday March 13Chris Owings talks about the position battle at shortstop between himself and Didi Gregorius.
- J.J. Putz, Diamondbacks relief pitcher - Thursday March 13Diamondbacks reliever J.J. Putz discusses the team's upcoming trip to Australia.
- Kevin Towers, Diamondbacks GM - Thursday March 13Kevin Towers discusses the battle at shortstop.