Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 12:25 pm
Chase Field's 'Uptown' sign is coming down
Aptly named 'Uptown', the right field bleachers were a tribute to the player who was supposed to be a perennial All-Star and face of the franchise.
While Upton has shown glimpses of being that guy, his inconsistency has caused some to doubt his future.
And Thursday, Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reported Chase Field's future will no longer included Uptown.
Uptown signs coming down at Chase! Don't read anything into it, was something agreed to at end of season by both parties...— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 10, 2013
It's tough not to read anything into the move, especially with persistent trade rumors surrounding the player. Should the D-backs trade the outfielder they would have to get rid of the section, so this could be a pre-emptive move.
Then again, it's possible this decision has no ties to Upton's future other than the player not wanting his own section in the ballpark.
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.