Updated Mar 10, 2013 - 4:56 pm
Skaggs, Diamondbacks falter in loss to the A's
"I don't think we played a very clean game today, overall," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said after the game.
In his second start of the spring, Skaggs allowed four hits and four runs while walking two in four innings pitched. The performance marked his third Cactus League appearance, and the young left-hander now has a 12.79 ERA to go along with an 0-2 record.
A.J. Pollock and Paul Goldschmidt provided a good share of the D-backs' early offense. Pollock went 1-for-3 with a stolen base and a first-inning RBI, while Goldschmidt -- the team's starting DH for the contest -- went 2-for-3 and scored a run.
Chris Owings added a long two-run home run off of A's reliever Hideki Okajima in the D-backs' ninth, scoring outfielder Ollie Linton.
D-backs pitchers, meanwhile, combined to strikeout just one batter on the day, walking five and allowing seven hits.
He Said It:
"Numbers mean nothing in spring training. It's all about how you feel and what the coaches see. Basically, Spring Training's a confidence builder and today just added to confidence that I have out there." -- Tyler Skaggs
Trevor Cahill and the Diamondbacks (6-8) are scheduled to face the Cubs at Salt River Fields on Monday. Josh Collmenter, David Holmberg and Eric Smith are each scheduled to make pitching appearances, while Jeff Samardzija will take the mound for the Cubs. First pitch is at 1:10 p.m. MDT.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.