Updated Mar 10, 2013 - 4:56 pm
Skaggs, Diamondbacks falter in loss to the A's
"I don't think we played a very clean game today, overall," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said after the game.
In his second start of the spring, Skaggs allowed four hits and four runs while walking two in four innings pitched. The performance marked his third Cactus League appearance, and the young left-hander now has a 12.79 ERA to go along with an 0-2 record.
A.J. Pollock and Paul Goldschmidt provided a good share of the D-backs' early offense. Pollock went 1-for-3 with a stolen base and a first-inning RBI, while Goldschmidt -- the team's starting DH for the contest -- went 2-for-3 and scored a run.
Chris Owings added a long two-run home run off of A's reliever Hideki Okajima in the D-backs' ninth, scoring outfielder Ollie Linton.
D-backs pitchers, meanwhile, combined to strikeout just one batter on the day, walking five and allowing seven hits.
He Said It:
"Numbers mean nothing in spring training. It's all about how you feel and what the coaches see. Basically, Spring Training's a confidence builder and today just added to confidence that I have out there." -- Tyler Skaggs
Trevor Cahill and the Diamondbacks (6-8) are scheduled to face the Cubs at Salt River Fields on Monday. Josh Collmenter, David Holmberg and Eric Smith are each scheduled to make pitching appearances, while Jeff Samardzija will take the mound for the Cubs. First pitch is at 1:10 p.m. MDT.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.