Diamondbacks GM: Team is struggling on offense, not giving up
In that time they've struggled against lesser teams teams like Toronto and San Francisco, and nearly had a perfect game thrown against them by Yusmeiro Petit.
The stretch has pretty much taken the postseason out of the conversation for the team that spent a significant portion of the season in first place, but while it may look like the team has given up or stopped caring, general manager Kevin Towers says that's not the case.
"When you don't swing the bats, offensively you're struggling, your team looks flat," Towers conceded on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "It looks like you don't care, there's no emotion, these guys have given up.
"They haven't given up, it's not that they're not emotional, it's just that when you don't score runs everything looks bad."
The D-backs have averaged just 2.15 runs per game over their last 13, and have been shut out twice during that span.
And as has been the case for seemingly most of the season, the lapse in offense has come during a time when the starting pitching, for the most part, has been pretty solid.
That, along with the bullpen's struggles, has left Towers pretty frustrated.
"Our pitching doesn't click with our hitting; when we're pitching we're not hitting, when we're hitting we're not pitching," he said. "And when we're hitting and pitching, then our bullpen struggles.
"Of late, it's definitely been offense."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.