Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 10:12 am
Arizona Diamondbacks fire pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax
Late Monday, word leaked that they had done just that, and the team made the announcement Tuesday morning that it had relieved pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax of their duties.
AZDiamondbacks.com's Steve Gilbert talked with Nagy Monday night.
"It's been a great three years with the Diamondbacks," Nagy said. "On behalf of me and my family, I'd like to thank the fans in Arizona for their support and the Diamondbacks organization for the opportunity."
The moves come in the wake of back-to-back poor seasons from Diamondbacks pitchers, who collectively posted earned run averages just below 4.00 in 2012 and 2013, while blowing a major league-worst 29 saves last season.
Nagy spent three years as the Diamondbacks' pitching coach and his pitchers finished just below National League average in ERA each year.
Sax was named the team's first base coach in December 2012.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.