Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
Just agreed to an extension with the @Dbacks! Really excited to stay in Arizona for a couple more years, at least!— Brad Ziegler (@BradZiegler) December 20, 2013
The Diamondbacks announced the deal, adding that it allows both sides to avoid arbitration. Their commitment to the side-armed throwing Ziegler isn't surprising, given his effective stint with the team over the last three seasons. Since being acquired by the Diamondbacks at the trade deadline in 2011, Ziegler has pitched 162.1 innings, compiling a 2.10 ERA while leading baseball in groundball rate each season.
He's happy to be staying with the team and happy it was finished before next week.
"I'm ecstatic! Glad we could work this out before the holidays -- it's a nice Christmas present," Ziegler said via text.
In 2013, Ziegler filled in at the back end of the Diamondbacks bullpen, getting 13 saves in 15 opportunities and assuming the closer role for most of the second half of the season, appearing in 78 games while going 8-1.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the financials of Ziegler's contract following the player's tweet.
Ziegler two-year deal with #DBacks worth $10.5M guaranteed. $4.5M, $5.5M, $1M buyout or $5.5M option.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 20, 2013
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.