Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
Just agreed to an extension with the @Dbacks! Really excited to stay in Arizona for a couple more years, at least!— Brad Ziegler (@BradZiegler) December 20, 2013
The Diamondbacks announced the deal, adding that it allows both sides to avoid arbitration. Their commitment to the side-armed throwing Ziegler isn't surprising, given his effective stint with the team over the last three seasons. Since being acquired by the Diamondbacks at the trade deadline in 2011, Ziegler has pitched 162.1 innings, compiling a 2.10 ERA while leading baseball in groundball rate each season.
He's happy to be staying with the team and happy it was finished before next week.
"I'm ecstatic! Glad we could work this out before the holidays -- it's a nice Christmas present," Ziegler said via text.
In 2013, Ziegler filled in at the back end of the Diamondbacks bullpen, getting 13 saves in 15 opportunities and assuming the closer role for most of the second half of the season, appearing in 78 games while going 8-1.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the financials of Ziegler's contract following the player's tweet.
Ziegler two-year deal with #DBacks worth $10.5M guaranteed. $4.5M, $5.5M, $1M buyout or $5.5M option.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 20, 2013
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?