Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
Just agreed to an extension with the @Dbacks! Really excited to stay in Arizona for a couple more years, at least!— Brad Ziegler (@BradZiegler) December 20, 2013
The Diamondbacks announced the deal, adding that it allows both sides to avoid arbitration. Their commitment to the side-armed throwing Ziegler isn't surprising, given his effective stint with the team over the last three seasons. Since being acquired by the Diamondbacks at the trade deadline in 2011, Ziegler has pitched 162.1 innings, compiling a 2.10 ERA while leading baseball in groundball rate each season.
He's happy to be staying with the team and happy it was finished before next week.
"I'm ecstatic! Glad we could work this out before the holidays -- it's a nice Christmas present," Ziegler said via text.
In 2013, Ziegler filled in at the back end of the Diamondbacks bullpen, getting 13 saves in 15 opportunities and assuming the closer role for most of the second half of the season, appearing in 78 games while going 8-1.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the financials of Ziegler's contract following the player's tweet.
Ziegler two-year deal with #DBacks worth $10.5M guaranteed. $4.5M, $5.5M, $1M buyout or $5.5M option.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 20, 2013
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.