Luis Gonzalez to be inducted into Latin American Sports Hall of Fame
Entering the hall alongside former New York Yankees first baseman Tino Martinez, Gonzalez becomes the 16th Major League Baseball player to be inducted to the Latin American Sports Hall of Fame.
As stated in the Diamondbacks release, Gonzalez is one of only 19 major leaguers to manage at least 2,500 hits, 500 doubles, 350 home runs and 1,000 RBI over the course of his career. Others to accomplish as much include hall of famers Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Cal Ripken Jr. and Eddie Murray, among others.
Gonzalez played 19 major league seasons, posting a .283 lifetime batting average in stints with six teams. He appeared in five All-Star Games, while becoming the Diamondbacks' all-time leader in games played, hits, doubles, home runs, walks, runs, RBI, at-bats, total bases, slugging percentage and on-base percentage.
The Cuban-American currently serves as a special assistant to the team, a position he has held for nearly five years.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.