Luis Gonzalez to be inducted into Latin American Sports Hall of Fame
Entering the hall alongside former New York Yankees first baseman Tino Martinez, Gonzalez becomes the 16th Major League Baseball player to be inducted to the Latin American Sports Hall of Fame.
As stated in the Diamondbacks release, Gonzalez is one of only 19 major leaguers to manage at least 2,500 hits, 500 doubles, 350 home runs and 1,000 RBI over the course of his career. Others to accomplish as much include hall of famers Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Cal Ripken Jr. and Eddie Murray, among others.
Gonzalez played 19 major league seasons, posting a .283 lifetime batting average in stints with six teams. He appeared in five All-Star Games, while becoming the Diamondbacks' all-time leader in games played, hits, doubles, home runs, walks, runs, RBI, at-bats, total bases, slugging percentage and on-base percentage.
The Cuban-American currently serves as a special assistant to the team, a position he has held for nearly five years.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.