Diamondbacks' J.J. Putz just wants to win
However, a poor start to the 2013 along with injury problems led to Putz losing his hold on the ninth-inning job, and while he finished the season strong, he did so as Brad Ziegler was finishing games for the team.
Healthy once again, Putz, who will be 37 on Opening Day, is battling for the job he once held, though he's probably the underdog now that the team went out and traded for former White Sox closer Addison Reed.
While it would make sense for Putz to be upset over the team possibly trying to move on from him in going out and adding Reed, the veteran did not take the move personally.
In fact, he reached out to Reed when the deal was made to offer support.
"It's never easy when you're traded," Putz told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, recounting how David Wright welcomed him to the Mets when he was traded to New York in 2009. "I know how hard it is when you get traded, and I just felt like my position with this team is to kind of get everybody together. I just thought it was the right thing to do.
"I think we're a better team with him here, so open arms."
Reed was Chicago's closer the last two seasons, saving a total of 69 games. He recorded 40 of them last year, and it's hard to believe the D-backs acquired the 25-year-old with the idea that he'd be a setup man. But GM Kevin Towers has said there will be a battle for the closer's job, with Putz and Reed being two of the main contenders.
And while he'd like to be the one to get the job, Putz said it would not be devastating should he not.
"Obviously that's what I love doing, but I'm also missing something on this finger right here," he said, pointing to the lack of a World Series championship ring. "So if that's pitching in the seventh, eighth, ninth -- whatever Gibby decides -- and that puts a ring on this finger, I'll do whatever."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?