Your nighty is in a knot
First off, good managers of good teams juggle lineups just as much, if not more. Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon, for example, has filled in 557 different lineup cards over the last four seasons (648 games). The Rays made the playoffs out of the AL East in three of those four seasons.
Secondly, the D-backs have had a lot of injuries to their everyday players, especially last year. Although I'm willing to admit this has little to do with the lineup machinations of Kirk Gibson, it must be mentioned.
But I believe the real reason for Gibby's juggling is found in the dearth of offensive firepower the D-backs have had. During the Gibby era, even when Justin Upton was here, they have never had a lineup that was deemed prolific or even dangerous.
And it's not like the Diamondbacks offense stunk last summer. They were No. 5 in hitting, No. 5 in runs and No. 3 in hits in the National League. Not prolific, not prodigious, not dangerous, but not awful either.
If the D-backs had great talent and were No. 5 in hitting and runs or they had the lineup of last year and were 13th or 14th in those categories in the NL, I could see where you might question the lineups Gibby has been running out there.
But that isn't the case and that's why people need to untie the knot in their nighty.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.