Your nighty is in a knot
First off, good managers of good teams juggle lineups just as much, if not more. Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon, for example, has filled in 557 different lineup cards over the last four seasons (648 games). The Rays made the playoffs out of the AL East in three of those four seasons.
Secondly, the D-backs have had a lot of injuries to their everyday players, especially last year. Although I'm willing to admit this has little to do with the lineup machinations of Kirk Gibson, it must be mentioned.
But I believe the real reason for Gibby's juggling is found in the dearth of offensive firepower the D-backs have had. During the Gibby era, even when Justin Upton was here, they have never had a lineup that was deemed prolific or even dangerous.
And it's not like the Diamondbacks offense stunk last summer. They were No. 5 in hitting, No. 5 in runs and No. 3 in hits in the National League. Not prolific, not prodigious, not dangerous, but not awful either.
If the D-backs had great talent and were No. 5 in hitting and runs or they had the lineup of last year and were 13th or 14th in those categories in the NL, I could see where you might question the lineups Gibby has been running out there.
But that isn't the case and that's why people need to untie the knot in their nighty.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.