Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 11:10 am
Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
Perez, 32, was a free agent coming off back-to-back solid seasons with the Seattle Mariners, for whom he appeared in 94 games between 2012 and 2013. Perez and the Diamondbacks have reportedly agreed to a two-year, $4.25 million contract.
The left-handed reliever has logged a lifetime 4.53 ERA in 300 career appearances. He began his career with the San Diego Padres as a starting pitcher and he remained in that role for the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Mets until 2012, when he arrived in Seattle.
If signed, the move will come after back-to-back days of general manager Kevin Towers watching his most notable left-handed relief pitchers struggling in Cactus League play. On Thursday, Joe Thatcher allowed a walk, a hit and an earned run in 0.2 inning pitched. And the day before, lefty Joe Paterson surrendered four hits, three earned runs and a home run in an inning of work.
Another Diamondbacks left-hander, Eury De La Rosa, has allowed two hits, three walks, two runs -- one earned run -- in 3.0 innings pitched this spring.
Last season, Thatcher filled the left-handed specialist role in the D-backs bullpen for much of the second half of the season, but struggled, logging a 6.75 ERA in 9.1 innings pitched over 22 appearances. He was acquired along with relief prospect Matt Stites in the trade that sent pitcher Ian Kennedy to the Padres.
Left-handed hitters have a .230 batting average against Perez over the course of his career.
Can confirm Dbacks adding Oliver Perez as left-handed reliever on 2-year deal— John Gambadoro (@Gambo987) March 7, 2014
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?