Although they were right, he is an elephant, nobody thought he would move like Dumbo.
I think he's going to be okay in left field. Diamondbacks GM, Kevin Towers, told us he was a good athlete and that's why they believed he could man the position. I watch him run and agree. He went back on a ball early in the game and made it look routine, making the catch over his head with full extension. He also came in on a couple balls coming off of left-handed bats and timed his trot with the flight of the ball, perfectly creating a vertex of ball and glove. He also made a strong throw into the cutoff man late in the game that would have nailed the runner had he tried to score.
And the best part is: Trumbo has played really well. In the home opener at Chase Field he hit the ball hard most of the night. Once into the hole for a base hit, once toward the shift at first base (error Brandon Belt), then he went the other way for another line drive base hit, then a soft liner into right field…he's raking and the power will come.
He drove in two runs on three hits in the loss to the Giants. He's got six RBI on the season -- driving the ball and driving in runs.
Although he has much to learn in left, Mark Trumbo may not be the weakness many analysts believed he would be. 0-3 sucks buttermilk but Mark Trumbo doesn't.
But it is early and it is a long season, isn't it Mr. Panic When You're 0-3?
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.