Although they were right, he is an elephant, nobody thought he would move like Dumbo.
I think he's going to be okay in left field. Diamondbacks GM, Kevin Towers, told us he was a good athlete and that's why they believed he could man the position. I watch him run and agree. He went back on a ball early in the game and made it look routine, making the catch over his head with full extension. He also came in on a couple balls coming off of left-handed bats and timed his trot with the flight of the ball, perfectly creating a vertex of ball and glove. He also made a strong throw into the cutoff man late in the game that would have nailed the runner had he tried to score.
And the best part is: Trumbo has played really well. In the home opener at Chase Field he hit the ball hard most of the night. Once into the hole for a base hit, once toward the shift at first base (error Brandon Belt), then he went the other way for another line drive base hit, then a soft liner into right field…he's raking and the power will come.
He drove in two runs on three hits in the loss to the Giants. He's got six RBI on the season -- driving the ball and driving in runs.
Although he has much to learn in left, Mark Trumbo may not be the weakness many analysts believed he would be. 0-3 sucks buttermilk but Mark Trumbo doesn't.
But it is early and it is a long season, isn't it Mr. Panic When You're 0-3?
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.