ASU's Graham: Big runs have 'been our nemesis'
The No. 22 Sun Devils (3-1, 1-1 Pac-12) have allowed more than 200 rushing yards in each of their last three games, and have allowed runs of 80, 32 and 58 yards against Wisconsin, Stanford and Southern California.
"Obviously we're not doing very well," Graham said.
That's something that will likely need to be corrected if ASU wants to knock off Notre Dame in Dallas on Saturday. The Fighting Irish average 134 rushing yards per game, and use their ground attack to open things up for their 28th-ranked passing offense.
Graham said defensive alignment has been a cause for many of the gashing runs, adding that ASU was misaligned on 15 plays during its 62-41 win over USC.
"We're just a guy too short in some spots," Graham said. "It does warrant some adjustments to what we're doing. When I see that many alignment things … we've done too much (schematically). If you're looking at something A through Z, we're operating on T when we should be focusing on G."
Despite Arizona State's issues in the run game, its interior defense has been stout. Between Will Sutton, Carl Bradford, Chris Young and Osahon Irabor, the Sun Devils' boundary-side defense hasn't been a problem area, and Graham singled those four out as "playing at a high level against the run."
But the Sun Devils have been burned to the field side — the direction opposite whichever hash mark the ball is spotted on — where it's easier to get ball carriers in open spaces and exploit individual matchups.
"The big-play run has been our nemesis," Graham said. "I'm encouraged because we're just one or two people getting it right from being good. Most of it we can definitely fix."
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?