Updated May 6, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Arizona coach Rodriguez says Jesse Scroggins is in QB mix
As it pertains to the Arizona Wildcats, they have as many as five heading into the summer, with no fewer than four having a legitimate shot at earning the starting job.
Senior B.J. Denker would appear to have an early edge, but USC transfer Jesse Scroggins could find his way onto the field with a productive summer and fall. Sophomore Javelle Allen and freshman Anu Solomon also could cigure into the mix.
But it's Scroggins, with the cannon arm and major program experience, who might be the most intriguing.
"He has a chance (to play)," Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said during Pac-12 coaches conference call Monday.
Scroggins, who attended El Camino Junior College last season, underwent foot surgery in the offseason and just started to get back on the field in time for the spring game. He completed six of 17 passes for 44 yards with two touchdowns and one interception on the afternoon.
"Jesse's come in with a real good attitude," Rodriguez added. "I think he knew this was kind of his last chance, he had bounced around a little bit.
"I think he's matured, understands that this is an opportunity for him to prove himself all over again, and I've been really pleased with the way he's jumped in and tried to learn the system and been a good teammate and competed for the job."
The coach said the summer will be important for Scroggins, as he'll need to continue to learn the offense as the team gets ready for the regular season.
"When August gets here he's going to be right in the mix," he said. "We'll see how quickly he can pick it up."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.