Reports: Special teams coach Charlie Ragle leaves Arizona to join Cal
Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez lost a second member of his staff in the past three days on Tuesday when special teams and tight end coach Charlie Ragle reportedly decided to join first-year coach Justin Wilcox’s staff at Cal.
Ragle joined Rodriguez’s staff at Arizona in 2012. The two were familiar because Rodriguez had recruited from Ragle’s Chaparral High School team while the head coach was at Michigan.
Leading to Rodriguez’s hire and his own eventual hire, Ragle was even vetted by former Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne when the Wildcats were in the midst of their head coaching search in 2011.
The Wildcats will now be searching for two assistant replacements, as receivers coach Tony Dews left Arizona over the weekend to take a position with West Virginia.
This offseason, Arizona also lost defensive backs coach Donte Williams, who joined the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
- Athlon: ASU’s Herm Edwards ‘has a tough job ahead in 2018 and beyond’
- ASU, Arizona, GCU and high schools represent state in 2018 MLB Draft
- Arizona basketball back to work after tumultuous season
- Chaparral football hopes new coach Barnes can bring back postseason success
- ASU, Arizona football teams will debut with national TV games in 2018