GCU’s Russell, Martin and Braun named to All-WAC teams
The Grand Canyon University Antelopes put together a 22-9 season, and with an 11-3 conference mark finished third in the Western Athletic Conference.
Because of that, it should come as no surprise that some of their players have received some postseason honors.
Senior guard DeWayne Russell was named First Team All-WAC after averaging 21.2 points, 5.4 assists and 3.8 rebounds per game. Russell led the conference in scoring and assists as well as minutes per game.
GCU also landed a player on the All-Defensive Team, as sophomore guard Gerard Martin, who averaged 1.4 steals and 4.1 rebounds per contest, was named after helping GCU top the conference in turnover margin.
Along with Russell and Martin, GCU’s Joshua Braun was named a First Team Academic All-American. It is the second consecutive year Braun has earned the honor, and he is just the eighth two-time first team selection in WAC history. Braun already has an undergraduate degree in business management but is working on master’s degree in business administration and has a perfect 4.00 GPA.
- Grand Canyon has easy time with Arkansas-Little Rock
- ‘Happy to be home’: Benson thrilled to lead NCAA tourney-eligible GCU
- Arizona Sports Hall of Fame inducts noteworthy 2017 class
- Wildfires hit home for 2 GCU players; team to participate in fundraiser
- Excitement surrounds first practice for NCAA Tournament-eligible GCU