Didier Drogba scores goal in Phoenix Rising FC debut
Didier Drogba’s name created quite a buzz around the Valley after the local USL team, Phoenix Rising FC, inked the former Chelsea forward.
He made his highly-anticipated debut on Saturday and didn’t disappoint. Drogba scored the game’s opening goal near the 40-minute mark.
Drogba also formerly played for the Montreal Impact. Rising’s ability to sign Drogba is widely regarded as a step forward in the team’s bid to join the MLS.
The 39-year-old also provided the assist on the game-winning goal.
— USL (@USL) June 11, 2017
The Rising were squaring off Saturday against Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2. Phoenix went on to win 2-1.
- Phoenix Rising FC sets date for home opener
- Phoenix Rising FC’s Didier Drogba drops hint about retirement plans
- Phoenix Rising FC faces Louisville City FC with USL Cup at stake
- ‘The stars came out’: Drogba helps send Phoenix Rising into title game
- Phoenix Rising defeats Orange County, advances to USL Championship