Grand Canyon falls behind late, loses to Utah Valley
OREM, Utah — Akolda Manyang scored 14 points and blocked two shots, Conner Toolson added 12 points with three steals, and Utah Valley beat Grand Canyon 68-56 on Saturday to take possession of second place in the Western Athletic Conference and win its 10th straight at home.
Kenneth Ogbe scored 10 points for the Wolverines (16-6, 5-1), who scored 21 points off of 16 Antelopes’ turnovers, but were outrebounded 44-28.
The Antelopes rallied and Casey Benson’s 3 tied it at 40, but Jake Toolson’s layup sparked a 16-5 run and Utah Valley led 60-47 with 4:04 to play while Grand Canyon went without a field goal for more than six minutes. Grand Canyon closed to 64-52 on Alessandro Lever’s 3 with 2:34 showing, but got no closer than 10 from there.
Utah Valley led 30-24 at halftime after shooting 36 percent from the field to the Antelopes’ 33 percent.
Lever scored 22 points and Oscar Frayer added 11 for Grand Canyon (15-7, 4-2), which saw its three-game win streak end.
- Grand Canyon unable to keep up with CSU Bakersfield, loses third straight
- Announcer Michael Buffer gets ASU crowd ‘ready to rumble’ before tip
- ASU can be the house Bobby Hurley built, AD Ray Anderson says
- Grand Canyon relinquishes lead, falls to New Mexico State
- Northern Arizona goes cold, lose to Southern Utah