Arizona Diamondbacks sign catcher Anthony Recker to minor league deal
The Arizona Diamondbacks announced Monday they have signed catcher Anthony Recker to a minor league contract with an invitation to the team’s spring training.
Recker, 34, has 206 games of major league experience. He is a career .199 hitter with 18 home runs and 70 RBI.
Starting in 100 combined games for the New York Mets from 2013-2015, he was purchased by the Atlanta Braves in May of 2016 after signing with the Cleveland Indians in November 2015.
He would then start in 26 games for the Braves in the 2016 season and one more in 2017 before being traded to the Twins last July, not making a MLB appearance for them.
The D-backs currently have four catchers on the 40-man roster: Alex Avila, Chris Herrmann, Jeff Mathis and John Ryan Murphy.
- Diamondbacks swept by Rockies, eliminated from playoff hunt Sunday
- After strong start to 2018, D-backs fail to reach postseason
- With Cardinals’ win over Giants, D-backs knocked out of NL Wild Card race
- Patrick Corbin’s 44-pitch third inning costs D-backs in loss to Rockies
- Saturday may have been Corbin’s last Chase Field start as a Diamondback