MLB Mock Draft has D-backs selecting SS with pick No. 25
On the heels of the NFL Draft, NHL draft lottery and upcoming NBA draft lottery, the MLB Rule 4 draft is also right around the corner.
A recent mock draft by ESPN Insider’s Keith Law has the Arizona Diamondbacks selecting Matt McLain with the 25th pick, a shortstop from Beckman High School in Tustin, Calif.
The D-backs have the luxury of two of the top 40 picks in the draft with pick No. 25 and No. 39.
The D-backs have been all over McLain this spring, with GM Mike Hazen going to see him at least twice. They could also be targeting him for their competitive-balance pick at No. 39. -ESPN Insider Keith Law
Law also has two high school prospects from the state of Arizona going in the top 10.
He has the Atlanta Braves selecting Nolan Gorman with the eighth pick, a third baseman from Sandra Day O’Connor High School, and he has the Pittsburgh Pirates selecting Matthew Liberatore with the 10th pick, a left handed pitcher out of Mountain Ridge High School.
The draft will take place over a three day period beginning on June 4.
Last year, the D-backs selected first baseman Pavin Smith from Virginia. Smith started the 2018 season with the Visalia Rawhide, the advanced-a affiliate for the D-backs.
- D-backs’ Hazen, Hall to appear on 98.7 FM’s ‘Hot Stove Summit’
- Reports: Ketel Marte could play CF for D-backs, Jake Lamb to 1B
- D-backs will be ‘selective’ with trading assets, managing rebuild
- Fangraphs: If D-backs rebuild, some pieces for future are already in place
- A strange MLB season comes to a close as decisions loom for D-backs