D-backs celebrate 17th anniversary of World Series title
Seventeen years ago on Sunday, we witnessed likely the best moment in Arizona professional sports history.
Luis Gonzalez’s game-winning RBI single in the ninth inning of Game 7 of the World Series against the New York Yankees and Hall of Fame closer Mariano Rivera gave the D-backs their only championship in franchise history.
— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) November 4, 2018
Gonzalez and the 2001 D-backs will be remembered forever because of that moment and championship.
— Luis Gonzalez (@Luisgonzo20) November 4, 2018
Since then, though, the D-backs have had their fair share of struggles.
They’ve made the playoffs just four times and advanced to the National League Championship series just once.
An important offseason could shape the direction of the club for the next few years and determine whether the D-backs could make it back to the World Series.
- Diamondbacks listed by ESPN as a possible surprise contender
- D-backs option Caleb Joseph to Triple-A, down to 3 catchers
- D-backs’ Merrill Kelly goes 5 innings: ‘I like how I’ve been able to progress’
- Report: Cardinals, Goldschmidt close on five-year, $130 million extension
- Diamondbacks closing in on closer decision