Mercury fall flat against Sun
UNCASVILLE, Conn. (AP) — Alyssa Thomas had 17 points, 12 rebounds and five assists, Jonquel Jones added 20 points and eight rebounds and the Connecticut Sun beat the Phoenix Mercury 94-66 on Sunday.
Courtney Williams had 16 points, Jasmine Thomas finished with 14 and Shekinna Stricklen added 12 for Connecticut (19-10). The Sun shot 52.9 percent (37 of 70) from the field, including 8 of 20 from 3-point range.
Connecticut led 46-45 at halftime, but limited Phoenix to just 21 second-half points, its lowest-scoring half of the season. Jasmine Thomas hit two 3-pointers during a 16-2 run to open the third quarter and the Sun led by double figures the rest of the way. They scored 16 consecutive points late in the fourth quarter to take a 94-64 lead, the biggest of the game, with 1:54 to play.
Brittney Griner led Phoenix (15-14) with 18 points, and Monique Curry had 12. The Mercury shot just 33.8 percent (24 of 71) from the field, their second-worst shooting percentage of the season.
- Phoenix Mercury’s Taurasi, Griner, Bonner earn 2018 All-Star nods
- Griner scores 36, Mercury snap 3-game skid in win over Fever
- Courtney Williams powers Connecticut Sun past Mercury
- Dallas Wings win with balanced attack over Phoenix Mercury
- Phoenix Mercury’s late rally not enough, fall to Atlanta Dream