No. 2 Arizona drops second straight in Battle 4 Atlantis
PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas — Ben Emelogu scored 20 points and SMU upset No. 2 Arizona 66-60 on Thursday night in the Battle 4 Atlantis consolation round, handing the Wildcats their second consecutive loss to an unranked opponent.
The Mustangs (5-1) blew an 11-point lead in the second half, but responded with a 10-2 run to go ahead for good. SMU won despite shooting 31 percent, though the Mustangs scored 19 points off 20 Arizona turnovers.
Shake Milton added 14 points, including four free throws in the final 70 seconds.
And for the second straight night, the Wildcats (3-2) found themselves on the wrong side of a stunning defeat. Arizona lost 90-84 to North Carolina State on Wednesday in the first round.
Allonzo Trier scored 22 points to lead the Wildcats. They will face No. 18 Purdue on Friday in the seventh-place game. The Mustangs will play Western Kentucky for fifth place.
- Suns’ James Jones excited for Deandre Ayton’s growth with Chris Paul add
- Pac-12’s postseason hopes dim among canceled games, coronavirus
- Suns’ Frank Kaminsky took on veteran role with C Deandre Ayton
- ASU football win total betting line set at 4.5; Arizona at 1
- Arizona guard Brandon Williams leaves program to play professionally