WATCH: UA women’s basketball Lindsey Malecha receives scholarship
In high school, now-Arizona women’s basketball guard Lindsey Malecha was a three-time all-conference player and the Metro East Conference Player of the Year in Minnesota.
Two days after winning the sectional championship, she had a complete tear of her right ACL and partial tears in her MCL and meniscus, according to Tucson.com.
Malecha was forced to stop playing basketball.
But after walking on to the Arizona team last season, she received a balloon that lifted her back on top.
— Arizona Women’s Basketball (@ArizonaWBB) July 21, 2018
In a video Tweeted by the basketball team Friday, Malecha popped a balloon and a note fell out.
“You embody all the things this program strives to be,” she read. “You have earned a full scholarship.”
There, her voice broke and she she stopped reading. Her teammates surrounded her in exuberance.
— ADIA BARNES 🐻⬇️ (@AdiaBarnes) July 21, 2018
Malecha played limited time in 23 games last season. There are currently only eight players on the Arizona roster, so she may be in line for a larger role.
You deserve it @LindseyMalecha I’m so glad to have you as my teammate❤️💙
— Kiana Barkhoff (@KianaBarkhoff) July 21, 2018
- Arizona sophomore Devonaire Doutrive walks back transfer plans
- Arizona junior G Alex Barcello announces he will transfer
- Nevada transfer Jordan Brown picks Arizona over ASU, others
- Sun Devils, Wildcats and other Arizona-linked MLB Draft picks
- Arizona basketball releases 2019-20 non-conference schedule