The Arizona Cardinals may be sitting pretty atop the NFC West with a record of 9-2, but they didn’t come out of Sunday night’s, 19-13, win over the San Francisco 49ers unscathed.
Both Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington –the No. 1 and 2 running backs on Arizona’s depth chart – left the game with injuries in the third quarter and did not return.
“I know that Chris most likely has some type of a bone bruise in his knee. Andre had a toe issue,” Cardinals’ GM Steve Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM on Monday.
Keim said that he won’t know more about their status until after further testing on Monday.
“Pending MRI results, we’ll know a little more later this morning. But until then I would probably say that both of those guys are day-to-day,” Keim said.
Johnson and Ellington have been pivotal components of the Cardinals’ backfield this season.
Johnson, who receives the majority of the Cardinals’ touches, ranks fourth in the league in rushing yards with 814 on the season. Ellington has averaged an impressive 6.9 yards per attempt.
Together they’ve accounted for roughly 84 percent of Arizona’s rushing offense, combining for 1,061 of the Cardinals’ 1,267-rushing yards.
- Blaine Gabbert should keep playing after first Cardinals start
- Cardinals’ Ricky Seals-Jones is now a famous fantasy football player
- Texans celebrate touchdown by running a relay race
- Budda Baker’s ridiculous forced fumble sets up Cardinals score
- Arizona Sports insiders live feed: Cardinals at Texans