Updated Jun 11, 2014 - 10:21 pm
Spain's Gerard Pique treats undeserving fan with warmup jacket off back
That wasn't the case at the Team Spain practice facility in Brazil this week.
Venicius dos Santos, 15, darted onto the field during a World Cup training session, evading security guards and team personnel. Some appeared to berate him and grab at him.
But Gerard Pique did just the opposite. He waves his hand at team officials to get them to stop grabbing at the fan before taking his warmup jacket off and giving the kid a hug, while saying something to him.
While it may provide precedent for future daredevils to jump security barricades and enter the field of play, the show of compassion -- and humanity -- from Pique is rare among athletes. And it's something young dos Santos will surely never forget.
- J.J. Watt, Barbara Bush suit up to sack illiteracy
- Youth baseball team calls out Paul Goldschmidt, former D-backs for ice bucket challenge
- Little League coach delivers moving message after heartbreaking loss
- Phoenix Suns, APS team up to provide mini-grants to K-12 teachers
- Paul Bissonnette does Ice Bucket Challenge, wins the internet