Updated Feb 14, 2014 - 12:28 pm
Arizona Cardinals GM: We've been aggressive in our approach to bringing Karlos Dansby back
Signed to a one-year deal, the veteran led the Cardinals with 122 total tackles while also tallying 6.5 sacks, four interceptions and a team-best 19 passes defensed.
"Karlos was not only a fantastic player on the field for us, he added huge leadership skills to our locker room," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told the Doug and Wolf Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday as part of Newsmakers Week. "Any time that you can have a middle linebacker with Karlos' experience, with his intelligence, his ability to line up and help other players around him, I mean, he was a huge asset for us."
Dansby had a Pro Bowl season without the Pro Bowl nod, and at 32 years old could have found a fountain of youth, of sorts, and be primed for more outstanding seasons in the future. But the question is, will that future be in Arizona?
"We've been aggressive in our approach to try and get Karlos re-signed," Keim said. "Obviously it takes two sides, and I think we will work in the next several weeks towards a common understanding.
"You know, it's one of those things that, as a general manager and a player, it's hard to not take things personal at times when it comes to negotiations, but Karlos knows how important he is to us, he knows that we want him back. And he's obviously a great fit here, and I know he and his family love living in Phoenix."
The Cardinals originally signed Dansby last March after he was cut by the Miami Dolphins. In search of a longer, bigger contract, the once-before Cardinal returned to his old team on a one-year, 'prove it' type of contract.
But now he's done that, and he -- along with any other free agent -- will be allowed to start negotiating with teams on March 8. Three days after that, they are allowed to sign.
Four years ago, Dansby left the Cardinals for a bigger contract offer. Is it something he may be interested in pursuing again?
Keim said the plan all along has been in hopes of preventing that.
"But at the same time it takes two, and obviously Karlos has an idea of what he wants to do," he said. "You'd have to ask him, but at the same time we feel really good about what we have going."
Keim pointed to Larry Fitzgerald, who restructured his contract and freed up more salary cap space for the team, as someone who stepped up in an effort to help the team improve.
"That's the same mind set all of our players have to take when it comes to their deals and the structure of the cap," he said. "You know, we're going to need some help and we need to put players around you to have some success. At some point all guys need to show some unselfishness, and at the same time we need to reward these guys for playing well."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
Schedule for the week
Dave Tippett and Lon Babby are in-studio on Tuesday for Newsmakers Week.
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week recap: Friday and the full week
- Greg Byrne: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf
- Steve Keim: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf part two
- Steve Keim: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf part one
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week Recap: Thursday
- Herb Sendek: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Herb Sendek: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Derrick Hall: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Three
- Derrick Hall: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Derrick Hall: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week Recap: Wednesday
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Four
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Three
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week Recap: Tuesday
- Lon Babby - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Lon Babby - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Dave Tippett - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Dave Tippett - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week recap: Monday
- Jeff Hornacek - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Jeff Hornacek - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Four
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Three
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Bryan Sperber, PIR President - Friday February 14PIR president Bryan Sperber closes out Newsmakers Week with Doug and Wolf.
- Greg Byrne, UA Athletic Director - Friday February 14Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne sits in on Newsmakers Week.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Friday February 14Cardinals GM Steve Keim joins Newsmakers Week.
- Kevin Guy, Arizona Rattlers Head Coach - Thursday February 13What should the NFL implement from arena football?
- Herb Sendek, Head Coach ASU Basketball - Thursday February 13Can ASU make the tournament in March?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday February 13When does Derrick Hall think things will heat up with the Dodgers?
- Brian Mueller, GCU President - Thursday February 13Brian Mueller explains what attracts athletes to GCU.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday February 12Ray Anderson explains why he took the job at ASU.
- Jason Rowley, Suns President - Wednesday February 12Where are the Suns trending financially?
- Jerry Colangelo, Godfather of Phoenix Sports - Wednesday February 12Jerry Colangelo comes in studio for an entire hour!
- Dan Majerle, Head Coach GCU Basketball - Wednesday February 12Dan Majerle explains the recruiting process.
- David Rousseau, AZ Super Bowl Host Committee Chairman - Tuesday February 11Find out how Glendale is preparing right now to host next year's Super Bowl.
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Operations - Tuesday February 11Eric Bledsoe's future with the team and the relationship between the Suns and Dan Majerle.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Tuesday February 11Dave spends his Olympic break with us in studio to discuss the playoff race his team is in.
- Tim Esmay, ASU baseball coach - Tuesday February 11Tim describes the competitive nature in recruiting high school athletes.
- Tom King, 2014 Waste Managment Phoenix Open Chairman - Tuesday February 11Tom explains how the Phoenix Open continues to be a huge success year after year.
- Charli Turner Thorne, ASU Women's basketball head coach - Monday February 10How is the women's basketball program at ASU doing?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Monday February 10The D-backs made moves on the mound
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Monday February 10Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek joins Doug and Wolf during Newsmakers Week.
- Keith Baker, GCU Athletic Director - Monday February 10How long until GCU can make the NCAA tournament?
- George Gosbee Phoenix Coyotes Co-Owner - Monday February 10Live update from the Sochi Winter Olympics.
Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week
D&W talk to all the top decision makers in Arizona sports.