Updated Dec 4, 2011 - 7:01 pm
Andre Roberts contributes in Cardinals' win
Seemingly every day, there was a new name churning through the rumor mill with a connection to the Cardinals. Braylon Edwards. Malcolm Floyd. Plaxico Burress. Terrell Owens. None of them were signed.
Instead, the Cardinals opted to stay with young receivers Andre Roberts and Early Doucet to do the job. Early on Roberts looked lost as the Cards limped out to a 1-6 lead.
But as the season has worn on, Roberts has looked more comfortable and confident, and that was evident on Sunday.
The second-year man from The Citadel had 6 catches for 111 yards, including two catches for 30 yards on the Cardinals' lone possession in overtime. He also drew a pass interference penalty in that drive and threw a key block during LaRod Stephens-Howling's game-winning touchdown.
The very fact that Fitzgerald is getting paid so much attention from opposing defenses is finally helping Roberts and the Cardinals, whereas it was exploiting a weakness earlier in the year.
"Larry on the other side being double and triple-teamed, even with defensive linemen on him one time," Roberts said. "Kevin looked to my side a little more this game."
His head coach noticed his contributions on the field as well.
"He is blossoming in front of your eyes is what he is doing," said about his young receiver. "You can see his confidence growing every week. He made a number of plays for us and went over 100 yards receiving again. He has done that the last couple of weeks."
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?