Updated Dec 4, 2011 - 7:01 pm
Andre Roberts contributes in Cardinals' win
Seemingly every day, there was a new name churning through the rumor mill with a connection to the Cardinals. Braylon Edwards. Malcolm Floyd. Plaxico Burress. Terrell Owens. None of them were signed.
Instead, the Cardinals opted to stay with young receivers Andre Roberts and Early Doucet to do the job. Early on Roberts looked lost as the Cards limped out to a 1-6 lead.
But as the season has worn on, Roberts has looked more comfortable and confident, and that was evident on Sunday.
The second-year man from The Citadel had 6 catches for 111 yards, including two catches for 30 yards on the Cardinals' lone possession in overtime. He also drew a pass interference penalty in that drive and threw a key block during LaRod Stephens-Howling's game-winning touchdown.
The very fact that Fitzgerald is getting paid so much attention from opposing defenses is finally helping Roberts and the Cardinals, whereas it was exploiting a weakness earlier in the year.
"Larry on the other side being double and triple-teamed, even with defensive linemen on him one time," Roberts said. "Kevin looked to my side a little more this game."
His head coach noticed his contributions on the field as well.
"He is blossoming in front of your eyes is what he is doing," said about his young receiver. "You can see his confidence growing every week. He made a number of plays for us and went over 100 yards receiving again. He has done that the last couple of weeks."
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.