Updated May 22, 2012 - 5:42 pm
Cardinals RB Wells 'confident' after offseason knee surgery
He rushed for over a thousand yards (1,047) for the first time in his three- year NFL career, while his 10 touchdowns were one more than he scored in his first two seasons combined.
And to think he did all that feeling less than 100-percent.
Wells spent much of 2011 dealing with a painful right knee.
"I kind of knew early on in the season that at the end of the year this was the route we were going to have to take."
The route taken was surgery.
Wells underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his knee in January.
"We just did a scope, clean some things up," he said.
How extensive was the procedure? Did he have his meniscus repaired? "Not really meniscus," he answered. "It was a little more complicated."
Wells would offer no further details except to explain why surgery was the decision made.
"Just to take as much pressure off the knee as we could, so we didn't have this thing lingering into the season. We wanted to nip it in the bud this offseason and that's what we're doing."
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt, who sat Wells because of his knee for the regular season-finale against Seattle, echoed those thoughts.
"The goal with Beanie is to make sure that we don't struggle through like we did last year with that knee. I give him a lot of credit for fighting through that and having the kind of year that he did with his knee. We knew that we were going to have to do some things to try to get that knee better and that's what this is all about."
Wells joined his teammates Tuesday for the start of OTAs, but only as a spectator. He spent his time on the field riding the stationary bike and working with the training staff.
"(The knee) is coming along, coming along pretty good," said Wells. "No setbacks at all. I'm feeling confident about being ready when the time is right."
The time, according to Wells, is not the middle of May but "come August, when we get into training camp."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.