Whisenhunt: Getting points early important for Cardinals
The Cardinals don't need to just score points. They need to score points early.
"[Getting points early] is good, especially when you are on the road," Whisenhunt said. "It's important. It's something we need to do more of, whether it's at home or away."
In eight games this season, the Cardinals have scored just 32 first quarter points. Of those 32, only 10 have come in games current starting quarterback John Skelton started behind center.
In fact, Skelton hasn't thrown a first quarter touchdown since Week 10 of last season against Philadelphia.
During the Cardinals' current four-game losing streak the team has managed a combined 13 points in 48 minutes of play.
"It gives you confidence," said Whisenhunt. "It gives your defense, I don't want to say confidence, but it gets them excited too.
It's been a while since Whisenhunt's squad has played winning football, but the head coach said he hopes the Cardinals' ability to move the football in a hostile environment against New England back in Week 2 serves as a reminder that it can be done again.
Arizona will have its hands full Sunday in Green Bay, though. Although not thought of as one of the league's most intimidating defenses, the Packers this season have allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b