Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 10:33 am
Patrick Peterson among NFL's most versatile players
However, the second-year pro can do so much more, which was recognized in an ESPN Insider piece presenting the 'NFL's 10 most versatile players'.
Peterson has great ball awareness and ball skills at cornerback and is probably the best punt returner in the league right now. With four punt returns for touchdowns last season, teams have kicked away from him this season, but he remains a threat. As a corner, Peterson is long-armed, has great recovery speed and is tough. He has a sense of where the ball is when his back is turned, but he is still too loose in his hips and peeks into the backfield too much. He'll get beat by guys because he is not playing the proper technique, but most of the time, his talent makes up for some fundamental issues that he can improve upon.
For the season, Peterson has five interceptions to go along with 39 tackles, though he has yet to reach the end zone on a pick or punt return, and he's averaging nearly half as many yards per return as he did last season.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.