Updated Mar 7, 2013 - 4:23 pm
Kurt Warner ranks as one of best FA signings of all time
Two wins, eight losses, 11 touchdown passes, nine interceptions and nine fumbles. Warner was beset by injury and replaced by Josh McCown, too, though he regained the starting job late in the year.
The Cardinals and Warner agreed to a three-year contract extension after that, but the veteran was expected to be little more than a caretaker at best, but more likely a clipboard holder for the team's next, younger QB.
Arizona drafted USC QB Matt Leinart with the 11th pick in the draft that April, and four games into the 2006 season Warner's time as a starting quarterback appeared to have ended, as he was replaced by the former Heisman Trophy winner during a loss to the Atlanta Falcons.
No one could have predicted where Warner's career would go from there, just like not one person would have expected his name to ever be on a list of the best 20 free agent signings in NFL history. Yet, that's exactly what happened, as NFL.com ranked Warner to the Cardinals fourth.
After orchestrating the rise of the "Greatest Show on Turf" in St. Louis, Warner helped another woebegone franchise emerge as a contender. Warner led the Cardinals -- a franchise that had gone 60 years between championship games -- to an unlikely Super Bowl appearance. Three of the Cardinals' four home playoff games in team history came with Warner behind center, and each of those three games resulted in an Arizona victory.
After throwing just 17 touchdown passes in his first two years with the team, Warner went on to toss 83 over the next three. He passed for 11,753 yards and tallied a QB rating of 93.6. Warner led the Cardinals to a pair of NFC West titles as well as Super Bowl XLIII, and cemented his Hall of Fame status in the process.
So yeah, it's fair to say he turned out to be one of the best free agent signings of all time, even though that didn't look to be the case early on.
And for the record, Warner trails only Deion Sanders, Drew Brees and Reggie White on the list.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals sign a pair of defensive lineman
- All-Access with Arians: Dockett to have surgery, Mathieu and Ta'amu back
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.